Strongest Skin Bleaching Creams 2019
When it comes to hyperpigmentation, no race can claim victory; all skin colours, dark or light are prone to skin conditions that may lead to discolouration. On the other hand, people have become more beauty conscious and in a bid to achieve flawless skin, the demand for skin lightening products has only grown higher.
Total skin colour change is a whole different story altogether; it has nothing to do with flawlessness. The association of fair skin with beauty and success is alive and kicking. Needless to say, skin bleaching creams are flying off the shelves!
Whether you seek to even out your skin tone or jump through a few shades to the lighter side, you need all the information you can get. With this in mind, we have prepared a review for the 5 strongest skin bleaching creams in the market and everything you need to know about them. We have also given crucial information concerning skin bleaching creams in general.
What Is a Bleaching Cream And How Does It Work?
Bleaching cream is an ointment, mixture or substance that limits your body's capacity to produce melanin, the pigment responsible for skin colour. It does this to help your skin get rid of hyperpigmentation that manifests as melasma, freckles, age spots, acne spots, sunburns etc.
You may find bleaching creams in names such as skin lightening creams, skin fading creams, skin brightening creams or skin whitening creams among others.
How do skin whiteners work?
Production of melanin is a continuous process in your skin. It happens in cells called melanocytes. An enzyme called tyrosinase enables the cells to produce melanin.
Skin bleaching products inhibit tyrosinase and also impair the different stages through which melanin is formed. Some even destroy the melanocytes completely. When this happens, less and less melanin is produced. As your skin renews, lighter skin is formed.
Side Effects of Using Strong Skin Lightening Creams
The side effects associated with strong skin fading creams come from some of the active ingredients used in them. Here is an overview of these effects.
- Mercury poisoning: Mercury is an ingredient in some strong skin lighteners which not only damages your skin but also exposes you to a host of health issues such as liver, kidney and nerve damage. Unfortunately, some manufacturers do not include it in the list of ingredients.
- Continuous use leads to premature skin ageing
- Use of strong skin bleaching products makes your skin more photosensitive which increases your risk of skin cancer.
- Steroids present in some skin lightening creams may cause skin thinning, acne and poor healing of wounds when used for long.
- Long-term use of hydroquinone, which is the most common ingredient in skin bleaching products causes ochronosis, a blue-black hyperpigmentation that is not easily treatable.
- Skin irritation or localized contact dermatitis
Caution When Using Strong Bleaching Creams
- Consult your dermatologist on the choice and instructions for use.
- Do not use creams with steroids for the purpose of skin lightening
- Avoid skin whiteners with mercury, sometimes listed as mercuric, calomel or Mercurio.
- Only use an over the counter lightening product whose hydroquinone concentration is 2% or below.
- If there lacks percentage indication despite it being one of the ingredients, seek an alternative.
- If the cream is Hydroquinone based, do not use continuously for more than 60 days to prevent resistance.
- Do not use skin bleaching products on raw or irritated skin
What is the Best Way to Use Skin Whitening Creams?
- Getting the desired results depends on how well you follow the ‘how to use' instructions on each product. However, some general rules apply when handling and using skin bleaching products.
- Do a patch test; apply the skin lightening product on an unaffected area of your skin. Keep it under watch for 24 hours. If you experience, redness, a rash, blistering, itching, or any other undesirable effects, discontinue its use.
On the other hand, mild irritation or reddening is expected with most of these creams so if it doesn't get worse; it is probably normal.
- Most of the skin lighteners are applied twice daily unless the instructions say otherwise. Apply the cream on the affected area while avoiding the inside of your nose, the eyes, mouth, and other intimate areas. If it gets into these areas, flush the cream with lots of water.
- The creams make your skin photosensitive so wear sunscreen and protective clothing when you venture outdoors to avoid sunburns. You may also need to avoid sunlamps and booth tanning.
- Be consistent with the use of the fade cream for at least two months.
How to Choose a Bleaching Cream
The skin lightening business is in leaps and bounds; it is projected to be worth $8.9bn by 2027.
With such an insatiable demand, frauds have penetrated the market and are now supplying harmful chemicals in the name of bleaching creams.
To avoid falling victim, here are a few pointers on how to choose your skin lightening cream.
Formula & Strength
Skin lighteners are either formulated naturally or synthetically. Natural lighteners have ingredients that are derived from plant extracts while their counterparts contain chemical compounds. Make sure you read the components carefully to avoid dangerous ingredients and risky strengths. Also, invest in products from trusted brands so that your skin remains healthy.
Purpose for Bleaching
What's your goal in bleaching? Different formulations target different conditions; whether you are seeking to enhance skin fairness, treat discolouration, manage melasma, or fade acne spots, choose a cream created for your specific condition. A dermatologist can help you narrow this down.
How deep are your pockets? On average, a brightening cream costs $5-$35. The price is subject to brand, packaging and the ingredients. Settle for a cream whose efficacy matches the price.
You want a package that is easy to use, don't you? Some skin lighteners need mixing with an activator before use while others come ready to use. Opt for smaller, opaque, tubes or containers to prevent your product from oxidizing and losing potency over a long time.
Strongest Skin Bleaching Cream Reviews
In your quest for even skin, you will come across numerous skin whiteners. Here are the top 5 strongest skin bleaching creams in the market:
#1 Emma Cardinelli Dark Spot Lightening Cream
This is one of the strongest skin lighteners in the market. The mango scented Emma Cardinelli dark spot lightening cream comes with 2% hydroquinone and 6% glycolic acid which help in fading dark spots, rosacea, melasma, and uneven skin. The cream is also infused with antioxidants and vitamin E which are great for softer skin. You can use the product on your legs, chest, face, and neck.
For best results, apply the cream on cleansed and exfoliated skin, starting with once daily for a week and then transition to twice daily. You should see results within a few weeks of use.
- Does not need mixing with an activator
- Easy to use pump dispenser
- Secure cap keeps it from oxidation.
- Does not irritate your skin, mildly scented.
- Layering with sunscreen does not affect its efficacy
- Recommended for other parts of the body as well
- Evens out your skin complexion and hydrates it at the same time
- Comprises of many ingredients.
- Despite great customer reviews, other users reported seeing no results, experiencing breakouts and a horrible smell.
#2 Black and White Bleaching Cream
The bleaching product to have in your beauty arsenal is the Black and White Bleaching Cream. Besides moisturizing your skin, the cream is non-greasy and easily spreads on your skin. It is formulated with the FDA's approved standard of low concentration hydroquinone of 2% as the active ingredient.
Black and White bleaching cream is mildly scented and is recommended for use on your face, hands, and underarms.
The cream promises to clear freckles, age spots, and dark spots. You should be able to see noticeable results in about 2-3 weeks. It claims to even out your skin tone and brighten your skin.
Apply the cream as the first thing on your skin after cleansing and drying your skin. Keep it contained in the affected areas as it can lighten normal skin too. Use twice daily until you see the desired results....
- Relatively cheap
- Easily available OTC
- Ready to use
- Majority customers report great results
- Packaged in a modest, easy-to-use tube
- Comes with moisturizing effects
- Offers only 5% cash back
- Manufacturer's website is not locatable.
- Several customers report lack of results, little effect and worsening of hyperpigmentation
#3 Admire My Skin Brightening Serum
Admire My Skin formula contains 2% Hydroquinone, Lactic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Salicylic Acid, and vitamin C all of which are top ingredients in skincare. The skin lightening cream is recommended for the clearance of age spots, melasma, and dark spots. It may take you close to four weeks to see any significant change.
While starting with the serum, apply it every other day and then increase the frequency of application to twice daily, in the morning and at night. Since it dries up the skin, invest in a good quality moisturizer.
Sunscreen is a must-have when and after using this powerful skin bleaching cream. Minor irritation is normal with initial use but it should not become worse. If this happens, discontinue use.
- Contains a host of skin-friendly ingredients
- Combines Hydroquinone with natural skin lightening ingredients
- Great customer reviews with before and after photos
- Results within 4 weeks of use
- Packaged in an opaque container hence reduced chances of oxidation
- Quite pricey at around $30
- May irritate your skin initially
#4 Divine Dark Spot Corrector
Divine Dark Spot Corrector is a product of the Divine Derriere brand. The skin lightener ranges among the most potent skin bleaching creams in cosmetics. It is meant for dark spots, freckles, melasma and other types of skin discolouration. Its active compound is 2% hydroquinone which works in combination with 6% glycolic and lactic acids to lighten and exfoliate your skin respectively.
The serum easily spreads on your skin and can be used on the hands, neck, face, and intimate areas.
Apply a thin layer twice daily on cleansed skin. If you do not have desired results with 3 months of use, the manufacturer recommends that you stop use and consult your dermatologist.
- Airless jar minimizes exposure to air.
- Easy to use dispenser jar
- Its light and spreads easily
- Works on all skin types
- Combines Hydroquinone with BHA and AHA
- Minimal wastage, the dispenser lets out the cream to the last drop.
- Divine lightening cream reduces large pores size
- May not work very well on dark skin
- Lacks money- back guarantee
- Several customers have complained about persistent burning of the skin
#5 Hydroquinone USP Bleaching Cream
Hydroquinone USP bleaching cream is a product of Bianca Rosa. Its principal lightening agent is hydroquinone. The cream is indicated for the treatment of chloasma, melasma, freckles, senile lentigines, and other forms of skin discolouration.
Use twice daily on cleansed and dry skin; it takes around four weeks for positive effects of Hydroquinone USP to be visible. The cream easily absorbs into the skin.
- Fairly priced
- Doesn’t contain many ingredients
- Absorbs really fast
- Comes with moisturising effects
- Comes with no return policy
- Does not ship to some countries
- Comes with limited order quantity
Cost and Where to Buy
Purchase skin lightening creams either over the counter from cosmetic shops or pharmacies at varied prices. Alternatively, you can get them online at stores such as Amazon at prices ranging from $7 and above. To cut on cost, consider bulk purchasing.
Having learnt about the strongest skin bleaching creams, it's a no brainer that they all contain hydroquinone which is considered the gold standard for skin lightening. Although you may achieve your goal, the lighter skin may come with a price tag; your health, especially with long-term use of these strong skin bleaching products.
Luckily, many other safer options are at your disposal. Feel free to check out our guide on skin lightening products without Hydroquinone.
Sonia Knight is the founder of be:skinformed.Apart from having her own experience with hyperpigmentation, Sonia has gained vast knowledge in the dermatology field. For more info on this, check out our about us page.